Like the true achiever I am, I didn't make it to the 12 o'clock lecture. I tried to resolve the issue by sitting in the library for the whole Friday soaking myself in stock investment literature. It surprised me to learn, that most of the personality traits common to successful stock investors, were familiar to me from my poker games. Nerves of ice, check. Reading people and interested in psychology, check. Don't mind taking a few hits if it means a big score in the long run, check. Risk taker, strategical mind, all were mentioned. Even the fact that many of these serious investors had a skill in card games. My motivation for making a presence in this area is evergrowing. I knew I had some sort of mindset for this stuff, but to read an exact description of myself was quite exciting.
... But I found a more interesting use for my time, when the captain gave a shout about his '88 VAG-product. New spark plugs? Sure, I'd give it a whack. I had to unload my adjustment and mechanicalizing needs anyways. Removing a carburettor, replacing a rusty old pipe and modifying spark plugs so they'd fit. Exactly the type of thing I was looking for in a Friday evening. Took us a couple of hours to get it running, but I guess it was worth the hassle to see Haddock as pleased as he was to have the Golf purr like a kitten again.
Then we headed for Mr. Str33n's place. I was supposed to bring two ladies with me so we could all talk rubbish and enjoy a bottle of wine, but I ended up taking a small hairy man with an affection for whisky. And he was driving. So that worked out almost as planned. But the board game, Risk, was cool. I'm trying to not sound like a huge nerd, playing board games with two guys on a Friday evening, but it's bloody hard not to. So Risk is the game where you try to take over the world with small plastic men.
I had a rough time getting started, and so did Haddock. We were getting run over by Mr. Str33n by his sheer experience. I realized, with the way things were going, that I wasn't gonna survive this. So I bought some time by dealing with the captain and got him to turn against threethree. Pounded to the ground, he asked if I'd like to make a deal. I thought about it for a while and agreed. I'd give him Africa and he'd withdraw from Asia.
I've never been good with treaties, though. I decided to make a gamble and try to establish a force in Africa AND get Asia for myself. If it woulda worked, it would've meant victory for me. Cards didn't work out and the dice didn't play my way, so I didn't get my reinforcements, causing a huge delay in my plan. We had to quit at that time anyways, it was quite late.
An incredibly versatile game considering what it's comprised of: three blokes, a bottle of wine and dice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment