Monday, 3 September 2007

Nordea, your friendly neighbourhood banking service

You make an appointment, you expect the other person to be there, right? You call one of the biggest banks in Finland and make an appointment, you expect them to be there and have a cookie ready for you, correct? Wrong.

When you make it to the appointment, not a minute late I might add, the person you've arranged to meet with is sick. WTF, couldn't they have checked that? Anyway, so you get this replacement to talk with you. At that point you're thinking "Who gives, at least the job gets done." But oh no. The fucking manatee sized degenerate desk assistant doesn't have a CLUE about who, what or when you are. She's never heard of Haaga-Helia. Well, I gotta give her that, It's not everyday you look out the window and see further than the tip of your nose. She believes you would like to do your business in Lauttasaari instead of the office you're currently sitting in and have reserved an appointment in. Using my exemplary amount of patience and diplomat-sized attitude, I made it perfectly clear that I was not about to jump to the other side of town to clear a matter that should take 15 minutes of paperwork. And smiled.

I think the manatee got the hint at this point and started rambling on with the huge stacks of papers. Every now and then she made the dance of the manatee and got up to bump into other manatees, equally confused in their matters. What should've taken 15 minutes of clearing up took 55 minutes of utter confusion. What do these people really get paid for. At least I got the thing done.

So I slept into a bomb, kinda. Shouldn't drink that Dooley's type in the middle of the night, it doesn't really help getting up in the morning. I fired up the old Vento for the last time just so I wouldn't be late. Admirable determination, yes? I pulled up in the Fair Centre's parking lot, it seemed abandoned enough: the gates were open and the guard post stood empty. After three hours of lectures I return to move the car. Suddenly there's a guy taking money from everyone leaving the parking hall. Entrapment! Unfair! I think better of it and move my car back to its post. You probably think the poor VW is still sitting on the roof of that strange parking garage.

Then you have no IDEA of how cunning I get. I made a roundtrip to Helsinki, did some stuff there and returned a couple of hours later to find the guy gone and place abandoned again. Saved myself 5 euro, but I don't think I'll want to drive up to Pasila again. The place is weird for driver types.

Right, made the accidental daily blurt-out of my poque hobby. I hope my image as a (not completely) sane young adult hasn't been completely rendered to a degenerate with a gambler's fallacy. Then again, if it has, I guess I won't have trouble finding easy games at school.. See? I'm thinking like a businessman already.

No comments: