Monday, 1 October 2007

O-liver

This student thing is tough for the liver.

After the dark eternal night on Friday, I figured I'd need new records. So off to the record shop. I thought Ms. Ladybird (better, eh?) might also be interested in browsing for music. Incidentally, the previous night had been even rougher for her hangover-wise, so I took the helm of the coughing Astra. Had a bit of an epic fail-moment arriving at the shop. Or where the shop should've been. They'd replaced it with some sorta Playstation-depot. Well. It's either www.play.com, or Keltainen Jäänsärkijä for my cds from now on.

BTW, The Office is cool. A British office-scenario sitcom with that awkward "eh"-type of comedy.

Then I remembered str33n's housewarming party. So I dragged myself to Hesa for the people of Turku. Again. Sitting in that bus I realized I was quite pissed off. A natural state of mind for me, but this was different. It's that sensation of your fuel gauge showing empty, or when you're knocked out of a tournament in the first hand. I hadn't eaten for a day and a half. Which meant a slight course correction towards the nearest market. I'll make an excellent grumpy old fart someday.

I ran into Salmon. This is one of my poker player-acquaintances, although I'd rather not know him because of the game. I often get asked if I get the desire to bluff or gamble my money away at a poker table. The people are always equally sceptical and amazed at my answer: I only put my money in when the odds are in my favor. Salmon has a bad habit of gambling. At poker and otherwise. And so do most of the fishes I get my money from. He was close to a burnout earlier, and it was a relief to see him doing ok. The hardest part of this game is seeing what it does to some people.

So on my way to str33n's I saw an empty condom package with two people passed out (?) beside it. I saw a guy trying to stop a cable car with his bare hands. I saw 40 metre queues for the crappiest night clubs. I saw police heading for their night shift. Damned, I felt sorry for those guys, thinking of all the crap they'd be seeing that night. Ultimate respect for policemen. Also, I had a rough time getting into str33n's yard, since some idiot had backed up his van so as to block the route.

I got to know a lot of people better, which is cool. First impressions aren't always as accurate as you might want them to be. YouTube also made an important appearance, helping me to spread out my progressive rock-propaganda, but also getting to know new stuff like Mars Volta. There also was this girl who I tried to piss off, as is my habit. But what she did was not get pissed off, but she screwed around right back at me. So we bullied each other for a while, which was .. fun.

I caught a lucky ride home when the Cruise Ship Ladybird passed downtown. Drinks on that ship are quite strong, I must say. And having to push start the damn thing outside McDonald's isn't exactly customer care.

As for the rest of the weekend, well. This student thing is tough for the liver.

No comments: