The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has DON'T PANIC written on it in big friendly letters.
Now it is such a bizarrely impossible coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God. The argument goes something like this:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't though of that" and promply vanishes in a puff of logic.
Today's Hollywood evidently has also adopted a less Bible-Beltical view of the big G, and made him a star in blockbuster hits like Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty. Morgan Freeman as God seemed a cool enough concept, so I punched "play" on my DVD player.
You'd think the U.S. has had more than its share of semi-Jesuses with all the W. Bushes running around. And you'd be wrong. Because there's always room for one more religious wholehearted wackohead to fill the void in the empty hypocritical American mind. Not to mention ruining peoples' movie nights. Tonight's allotment of religious propaganda consisted mainly of the Noah and the ark-story. An original idea for a movie, I suppose, so how the hell did they manage to make it rank so high on the retard-scale? Bird guano, silly clothing, lameass bedside praying, Evan getting hit over the head multiple times? And not to forget the complete Disneyland attraction-type execution of the whole "huge fuckoff flood"-episode.
"Do you believe in God?" they said. I hadn't heard that for a while, until last week, when a friend asked me. I never really understood how I'm supposed to answer that. Biased towards atheism since forever ago, I found it tough to even create serious debate. So instead of taking a possible beating, I put on my diplomatic hat and answered something on the lines of "No, I prefer a more nonchalant approach to this whole religion thing".
I personally find it easier to stay at the shallow end of the conversation pool when it comes to religion, just to avoid being involved in an involuntary Jihad. So I ended up staying quiet and shifted onto another subject. Mostly because I didn't have a lot to say in the area, but also, as I noticed in the previous edit of this blog entry, you have to be damned careful if you're gonna tread into someone's religious beliefs. 'Cause I promise you, choosing your words carelessly regarding politics or religion will cause some grand hellfire. And unintended hurt, for that matter.
Having said all that, I don't think you need to be an atheist to realize that Evan Almighty was a pile of divine horse shit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment