Wednesday, 16 January 2008

The sound of inevitability

Doing 110kph on a busy highway with the onboard computer showing 0 km and fuel gauge flashing red is normally considered to be a dumb idea. Acknowledging this, I promptly hammered on. Surely, there'd have to be a reserve tank that would get me to the next gas station, right? Surely, I would not, for instance, end up on the hard shoulder, hazard lights flashing, with huge trucks showering me with muddy snow? Fate must've had an open ear for the sound of inevitability, 'cause that's bloody well exactly what happened.

After walking for what seemed like forever (after which I hitched a ride from a humane trucker), I got some extra gas from the nearest gas station. I never realized hitchhiking would be so tough, as it was near impossible to catch a ride back to my car. Does it really take a brain larger than a monkey's to do the math when there's a hitchhiker dressed up properly with a gas can in his hand? People even had the audacity to give me a fuckoff-face and thumbs up. Good thing I caught a cab. My own laziness had cost me two hours and over 30€ extra.

The trip was a rather lost cause, as I didn't even close the deal on selling the Peugeot. So to say the least, I was tired, and in no mood to give out random favours. What I needed was an ice-cold alcohol-derived fruit drink and some episode of Scrubs in front of me. The problem with being a car-addict though, is that people expect you to drive and be happy with it. I could hear the roaring sound of inevitability miles away.

Beep beep. I received a text from a couple of ladies to "hurry up, we need a ride". Giving out an annoyed grunt, I thought I'd solve the problem once and for all. Not to be straight up rude, but make an absurd request in exchange for the ride. So the rather quick answer went as follows: "Take you there, that's a shag. Take you there and back, that'll be a shag with both of you." I almost laughed at my own ingenuity and figured I'd be at peace for the rest of the night for such arrogance. I never took the lady at the other end of the line for a poker player, though. My phone rang almost immediately and a bright voice said "Ok, that'll work! When are we leaving." I'm not one to give up my bluffs easily, so I went along with it. I'm hoping to create some awkward situation some time soon, where I'd pop the question of "repayment".

I arranged a surprise trip to Mikkeli on Saturday. What a crap town. Regained my confidence though.

Oh yeah, concerning blogs. I noticed the commenting wasn't available for everyone. Should be fixed now.

No comments: