Friday, 28 September 2007

Dream Squad in Paradise Lost

Finally free. Got the paycheck I've been waiting for the last 3 weeks. Such a huge relief to be free of this financial burden. I think I'll make an appearance at some poker table when I get my affairs in order. It's either that or getting a job. Which is not a totally unpleasant choice, considering my new contacts and chances with the school.

Symphony X and Dream Theater at the Ice Hall yesterday. In my own little world those two bands are listed in the top three. Always. Hearing them on the same stage, one after the other? Fucking mindblowing.

Symphony X, shamefully, had only a small 35 minute window to make an impression on a crowd that hardly knew them. I had the time of my life watching them play their hearts out with the new Paradise Lost album. And then they left. Damned. I wish they'd make a full length show. Russell Allen's voice though? I'm out of words. Godlike? For a regular manatee-sized hairy guy, he sang like only angels can. And the rest of the band? Phew. They played all the songs about one and a half times the normal speed and still didn't have any trouble. Not that the speed matters, but they seemed to have a good time on stage, and that matters to me.

Two years ago Dream Theater was a hopeless disappointment. Now though, after Mr. LaBrie quit making silly vibratonic improvisations on the high notes, and after Mr. Rudess pulled his roehmy back into his pants, I finally understand what the name "Dream Theater" is all about. Falling into a dreamy state, where your whole head is 100% focused on processing not only the complex music, but also the audiovisual effects flaring in from every direction. The feeling that they set up (in my mind) was amazing. It was really like watching a silly miniopera. Or a dream theater. However you want to put it. Amazing anyway. Oh yeah, and they started their gig with the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. That's the kind of humour I like to see from Dream Theater. I'm glad as hell they got over their rock-bottom called Octavarium.

What could've made this time different from the last was our seating arrangement. Dream Theater definitely isn't a band to be listened to standing up. The Tekken and I, contrary to the last time, had good seats and were both able to concentrate on the important stuff. Not, for example, trying to keep a black haired kid from swinging his whiplash hairdo out of our collective faces.

I got an impressive rakeback deal for the OnGame Network, which supposedly would have more of these "unlucky" poker players. I've been on break for two weeks now and I'd definitely like to give my honed skills a try in the old crowd. Perhaps I'll leave FullTilt for the pros.

The Ice Queen of Iguana had no idea. Ms. Eeyore joined me and public for the regular pizza cruise. As if the coughing Astra wasn't enough of a spectacle, Ms. Eeyore probably had the time of her life watching, as two age old friends babbled on about stuff no outsider could nor should understand. Poor lady.

Oh yeah. I asked public to make a comic out of my rants. See how that turns out. He's a lazy bastard, so I gotta kick him about this.

And finally, an old video I bumped into on IRC.. Check out Kiwi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs

No comments: